Don’t Become a Resolution Statistic!


So have you planned any resolutions for 2012?

The beginning of a new year is a perfect time to start fresh. You have 365 days ahead of you loaded with potential. Potential for adding exercise to your schedule. Potential for loosing that 20 pounds you’ve watched accumulate over the past few years.  Potential to quit whatever bad habit you’ve struggled with. If you are planning to resolve any of these things, you’re in good company….

Over 50% of Americans will resolve to exercise more.

About a third will resolve to lose weight.

Around 13% will attempt to stop smoking.

There’s nothing wrong with using the start of a new year to resolve to do better than we have in the past. I’ve resolved a couple of changes for my life this year. So with all the thousands of resolutions made at the beginning of each year, what percentage do you think are successful in reaching their goal? One source said that about 80% will be unsuccessful, leaving only 20% being successful in keeping their new year goals. Not very good odds for those who are not totally committed to success.

Change is tough.

What about the people out there determined to do better this year in an effort to improve their spiritual life? They resolve to give more to the needy, money to non-profits, and kindness to the world in general. They have felt something missing in their life for years and nothing has been able to fill it. So this year they will reach out.  Through their selfless giving they will surely find peace and completion in their life, right?

No matter how much we give, we will not find total completion in anything we do on our own. We can give our time, money, and talent to help others but it will not fill the void. We can open our home to orphans, take care of the widow next door, and feed the homeless, but at the end of the year we will still find something missing. What is it?

The Savior.

Jesus is the one who fills the void in our lives. He brings completion. No matter how determined we are to make good choices, be honest, and act with compassion, we cannot change the condition of our heart. It’s only through the surrender of our entire life to Him that we can really be different.  He doesn’t just address the habits, priorities, and goals in our life – those are just symptoms of the problem.  He changes our heart.

Then comes the fruit of that change. The things that we list as goals start to show up naturally in our life. Why? Because when we have the love of Jesus inside us, it shows. He fills us so that we are able to overflow into the lives of those around us. Now we feel the completion and satisfaction that is unique to a relationship with our Creator.

As of today, we have 364 days left in the year. Days full of potential for great things. If you want to lose weight, exercise more, or achieve some other goal, go for it! But if you haven’t already met Jesus, let Him make the biggest change in your life that you’ll ever know. Let Him change your heart, give you life, and fill you with love.

It’ll be the best decision you’ve ever made!

One thought on “Don’t Become a Resolution Statistic!

Have something to say? Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s