Many men struggle with the true definition of manhood.
What does it mean? What are our responsibilities? How should we act?
If you are like me you like lists. I think most men are built that way. We have a list, we accomplish a task, mark it off and move to the next one. Today I’m going to give you a list of 6 characteristics of a real man. It’s not a list where you’ll complete a task and mark it off, it’s more of a daily checklist – like a maintenance chart for your car. It will help keep us running smoothly.
To help identify 6 of the characteristics God has outlined for us men, let’s read Psalms 15:1-5
Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent? Who may live on your holy mountain?
The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart; whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbor, and casts no slur on others; who despises a vile person but honors those who fear the Lord; who keeps an oath even when it hurts, and does not change their mind; who lends money to the poor without interest; who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things will never be shaken.
What are the characteristics of a real man? A man who is able to dwell in the presence of the Lord? Here are some that jump out:
- He lives with Integrity: His lifestyle is blameless. People know his character and trust him. He makes decisions based on God’s word, not by other’s standards. He lives his life with the same level commitment whether alone or in a room full of people.
- He guards his speech: A real man is careful not to slander others, spread rumors, or participate in negative conversation. His words bring encouragement and life to others.
- He is kind: A real man considers the needs of those around him. In his effort to succeed he does not tear others down, he looks to help others succeed as well. He is refreshing to his friends and does not suck life from the relationship.
- He seeks friends with good character: A man of God desires to surround himself with others who share similar attributes – those of good character and integrity. He even befriends those who have nothing to offer in return, but who are honorable.
- He is a man of his word: His word is a contract. Even if circumstances change and his promise no longer benefits him or even hurts him in some way, he remains faithful to his promise. Whether it’s a promise to help a friend pack a moving truck or the promise he made to his wife to love, cherish, and stay with her for life – he keeps his word. He does not change his mind.
- He is not selfish: He gives to those in need without desire to profit from it. He gives of his time and resources as God directs. Most importantly, he gives to his family, His children and wife know they are his priority without question. His hobbies and activities do not take precedence over the needs of his family and friends.
Living a life that reflects these attributes is not easy, it’s a challenge. But when we choose to live the life that God has intended, we become so much more fruitful and usable. Life is more enjoyable. There is peace that comes along with the commitment to live with integrity. There is freedom that accompanies our release of seeking personal gain and important titles. There is a security in the relationships formed with other like-minded men who will encourage and pray with us.
If you are looking for answers in what it means to be a real man, here are a few. The bible is packed full of examples of Godly men – not perfect men – but Godly men that we can read about. There is also scripture after scripture that describes the characteristics and attributes we should strive to exemplify. Start with Proverbs if you’re not sure how to begin. Read a chapter a day and you’ll make it through in about a month.
This is just the beginning of the list. What other characteristics of a real and Godly man would you add?