Opinions are easy to come by – people will have one on just about anything you ask. The weather last weekend? Last night’s game? The food at the new restaurant? Just ask and they’ll have their perspective ready for sharing.
Like our thoughts about our favorite football team, most of us also have an opinion about what it means to be a real man. Strong? Courageous? A great leader? Characteristics like these come to mind for some but something totally different for others.
The truth is, it doesn’t matter what you or I think it means to be a man. What really matters are the characteristics God says a man should have. With that in mind, we’ve compiled a list of 20 biblical characteristics of a godly man to help us see how we measure up. Ready for them?
Here you go…
1. A godly man is a just man – Micah 6:8
2. A godly man is a man of mercy – Micah 6:8
3. A godly man is a man of humility – Micah 6:8
4. A godly man is blameless – Psalms 15
5. A godly man is righteous – Psalms 15
6. A godly man is truthful – Psalms 15
7. A godly man does not slander – Psalms 15
8. A godly man is kind to neighbors – Psalms 15
9. A godly man despises evil – Psalms 15
10. A godly man keeps promises, even to his hurt – Psalms 15
11. A godly man is giving, not greedy – Psalms 15
12. A godly man is a man of integrity – Psalms 15
13. A godly man is unshakeable – Psalms 15
14. A godly man is holy – Ephesians 1:4
15. A godly man is a doer of the word of God – James 1:25
16. A godly man is fruitful – Galatians 5:22-23, Psalms 1:3
17. A godly man delights in the Lord’s commands – Psalms 1:1
18. A godly man is prosperous – Psalms 1:3
19. A godly man does not blend in with the world – Psalms 1:1
20. A godly man strives for perfection in Christ – Matthew 5:48
So, how did you do? If you’re like us, you’ve got some things to work on — but at least we now have a place to start. It’s tough to be godly men living an intentional life if we haven’t taken time learn the characteristics of a godly man. How do we measure our progress? Surely not by our own opinion or by those in the world around us! Keep in mind that it’s not by our own resolution or determination that we will become more Christ-like. It’s through our relationship with Jesus and His work in our life.
We hope you’ll spend some time each day reading the bible and discovering who God has created you to be.