Opinions are easy to come by – people will have one on just about anything you ask. The weather last weekend? Last night’s game? The food at the new restaurant? Just ask and they’ll have their perspective ready for sharing.
Like our thoughts about our favorite football team, most of us also have an opinion about what it means to be a real man. Strong? Courageous? A great leader? Characteristics like these come to mind for some but something totally different for others.
The truth is, it doesn’t matter what you or I think it means to be a man. What really matters are the characteristics God says a man should have. With that in mind, I’ve compiled a list of 20 biblical characteristics of a godly man to help us see how we measure up. Ready for them?
Here you go…
1. A godly man is a just man – Micah 6:8
2. A godly man is a man of mercy – Micah 6:8
3. A godly man is a man of humility – Micah 6:8
4. A godly man is blameless – Psalms 15
5. A godly man is righteous – Psalms 15
6. A godly man is truthful – Psalms 15
7. A godly man does not slander – Psalms 15
8. A godly man is kind to neighbors – Psalms 15
9. A godly man despises evil – Psalms 15
10. A godly man keeps promises, even to his hurt – Psalms 15
11. A godly man is giving, not greedy – Psalms 15
12. A godly man is a man of integrity – Psalms 15
13. A godly man is unshakeable – Psalms 15
14. A godly man is holy – Ephesians 1:4
15. A godly man is a doer of the word of God – James 1:25
16. A godly man is fruitful – Galatians 5:22-23, Psalms 1:3
17. A godly man delights in the Lord’s commands – Psalms 1:1
18. A godly man is prosperous – Psalms 1:3
19. A godly man does not blend in with the world – Psalms 1:1
20. A godly man strives for perfection in Christ – Matthew 5:48
So, how did you do? If you’re like me, you’ve got some things to work on — but at least we now have a place to start. You know, it’s tough to be godly men living an intentional life if we haven’t taken time learn the characteristics of a godly man. How do we measure our progress? Surely not by our own opinion or by those in the world around us! Keep in mind that it’s not by our own resolution or determination that we will become more Christ-like. It’s through our relationship with Jesus and His work in our life.
I hope you’ll spend some time each day reading the Bible and discovering who God has created you to be.
Updated. Original post 10/16/14.
Definitely some of the most important traits of a godly man. May I add two more that I believe all those hang to:
Love = John 14:15
Faith = Hebrews 11:6
A godly man must love. He must love God first and then love his neighbor.
A godly man must have faith. Without faith, it is impossible to please Him.
When a godly man loves, he will uphold all that is righteous, true, and worthy.
When a godly man has faith; he stands firm, does not waiver, holds fast, never looses hope.
2 Chronicles 16:9a – For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.
The Lord will strengthen us to love and to have faith. He is looking for the man whose heart is set on Him. Go and conquer in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Great additions, Jerry!
In Matthew 22:36-40 (NIV) it says…
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
EVERYTHING hinges on our loving God with all our heart, soul, and mind.
Thanks for sharing!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Reblogged this on christian ammunition.
amen. good information. thank you.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I will be a winner to
Reblogged this on The King's Men.